Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Missoula
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You might be considering all the ways you can personalize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you examine home security too. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Missoula.
Perform a safety check of your new Missoula property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, see what your new home has in terms of protection. First, ensure you have working smoke detectors. Test each one and change batteries if required. Are CO detectors present? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to update door locks and check all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and get familiar with your new house.
Smart security tips for your Missoula home
Once you’ve completed your opening check of safety devices and locking systems, you may look into enhancing your protection. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Missoula.
- Invest in a full-featured home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Missoula can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your residence even when you’re not there. You can view live video feeds, operate entry locks, and even speak with guests on your front porch right from your smartphone. You may custom-tailor your system with incredible security measures like surveillance cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outdoor lighting. Outside lights with motion sensors are a smart strategy in discouraging potential invaders. You might even use them in conjunction with outdoor cameras. The tripping of a motion detector can tell your surveillance to record.
- Keep your premises maintained. Can you easily see all of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown shrubs and trees impeeding the view? Get rid of likely hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Make friends with others on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people around you, there’s a greater probability they’ll let you know if they see suspicious activity. You might also connect to your area’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by turning on smart lights at predetermined moments. This is a nice tool when you’re at work or on vacation.