Vivint Authorized Retailer Missoula
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Missoula & Surrounding Areas

Top causes of residential fires in Missoula and how to avoid them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are many risks you need to think about as a homeowner. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur in various places and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded incidents. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to keep them from happening|. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Missoula.

What starts residential fires in Missoula?

Fires can begin anywhere and without warning, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a trash can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread sorts of residential fires in Missoula and everywhere else. Unattended stovetops are the chief source, so always pay attention to that smoking skillet when cooking. It’s also important to note that drenching a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Portable heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for too long can result in inner elements wearing down and sparking. Putting heaters near combustible objects like blankets and curtains or using damaged cords may also lead to disaster. Other heating elements, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, could cause fires and should be inspected regularly.
  • Electrical: Worn out wiring, defective outlets, and overloaded extension cords are several of the ways electrical complications result in fires. Whenever you notice flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it checked out right away.
  • Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still commonplace and often result from careless behavior. Placing them within a pet’s domain or next to ignitable materials will often result in disaster.
  • Smoking: In spite of the overall decline in smoking across the country, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette still burning or disposing of smoldering ashes carelessly can bring about devastating results.

The best way to prevent house fires in Missoula is to eliminate negligent behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle burning, and discard cigarettes properly. If you need to operate a space heater, do so sparingly and use one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it is knocked over.

Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Missoula

You ought to have smoke detectors on every floor and more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your protection a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also trigger due to extreme heat. Furthermore, considering they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring representatives whenever a crisis strikes. This is a nice perk, especially when you’re not home to hear the alarm and call the fire department.

Protect against known risks with a Vivint smart home in Missoula

Enhance the safety of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant updates to your cell phone and the 24-hour support that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Contact (406) 926-0627 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.